Philly Cup 2011

It finally happened! I got to go back to Philadelphia for our fraternity’s annual Philly Cup tournament.  This year our chapter was staying with a Brother living near Drexyl’s campus.  The drive down seemed like it took forever, but once we arrived, I immediately felt calm.  After a long drive like that, all I wanted to do was relax.  We decided to stay in the apartment that night and converse over some sodas.  Our talks were about everything from our major, year, and when we joined the frat to the crazy things that we have done since then.  I love that no matter where I go, as far as U.S. campuses; I can meet other Brothers and instantly have a connection with that person.

We woke up early the next morning and went to a small corner market for some breakfast.  I really like going into corner stores in the city, because they have everything you could ever want.  The one we stopped in had a nice selection of Asian cuisine, but I decided to stick to my regular breakfast of a bagel sandwich with sausage, egg, and cheese.  After breakfast we took the subway across town to Temple where the soccer tournament is held.  We were scheduled to play in the first game, so I was extremely nervous.  Everyone was going to be watching us play.  While doing my usual warm-ups, I was trying not to worry too much about my knee.  Last year, I tore my ACL in the tournament.  I was hoping that this year would end injury free.  The first game was against American University, a recently reactivated chapter with 50 or so Brothers.  I did not know what to expect.

Once the game started, we made a quick break, gained possession and pushed the ball down field.  I charged the ball hard back into the far corner drawing a lot of attention from defenders and placed a cross to Dan who was wide open.  He one-touched a shot straight through the back of the net giving us a lead 30 seconds into the game. 

From that moment on it was a battle.  We ended up winning 1-0.  Our next game was against Drexyl. I decided to let others start that match which turned out to be a mistake.  We ended up losing 3-1, but it was a hard-fought loss.

After the game, we relaxed for a bit, got dressed, and caught a bus to our boat.  Yachting and dancing were on the agenda for the evening.  The entire group went on a large dinner cruise of the city.  I enjoyed the boat ride. I wish we could have arrived just a few minutes earlier, because most of the food was gone or cold.

Overall the weekend was a lot of fun.  I hope that I don’t have to drive that far for a while, but Philly Cup was well worth it.

-Chris K


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: